VCU Research Week 2012: Student Research Across the Disciplines
Monday, April 23rd:
3:30 – 5:00pm Kick-Off Lecture by Jad Abumrad, Commonwealth Theater, Student Commons. Brought to you by the VCU Office of Research and Office of the Provost, VCU Science Technology and Society Program, and the Science Museum of Virginia.
Jad Abumrad is a radio host, producer and 2011 MacArthur Fellow whose engaging audio explorations of scientific and philosophical questions captivate listeners and bring to broadcast journalism a distinctive new aesthetic. As co-host and producer of the nationally syndicated program Radiolab, Abumrad employs his background as a composer to orchestrate dialogue, music, and sound effects into compelling documentaries with topics such as the nature of numbers, the evolution of altruism, or the science of emergent phenomena within ant colonies and other complex systems. Before Radiolab, Jad reported and produced documentaries for a variety of local and national public radio programs, including On the Media, PRI's Studio 360 with Kurt Andersen, Morning Edition, All Things Considered, and WNYC's "24 Hours at the Edge of Ground Zero".
Websites Related to Jad Abumrad
Tuesday, April 24th
- 10:00am - 2:00pm Graduate Student Research Symposium: Commonwealth Ballroom, Student Commons Announcements of Competition Winners to follow.
Wednesday, April 25th
- 11:00am - 2:00pm Poster Symposium for Undergraduate Research and Creativity: Student Commons, Commonwealth Ballroom
- 12:00 – 1:00pm Welcome and Remarks from President Rao and Vice President for Research Dr. Frank Macrina, Student Commons, Commonwealth Ballroom
Thursday, April 26th
- 4:00pm – 5:00pm The Student Research Experience and Careers in Science. Hosted by the Student Research Organization, MARC Program and VCU Center on Health Disparities. Current student researchers, faculty mentors, and VCU Alums talk about their research endeavors and careers. MPC Student Commons, Commons Theater. Followed by a reception and light refreshments.
Friday, April 27th
- 9:00am – 12:00pm School of Social Work Research Symposium MPC Student Commons. Commonwealth Ballroom
- All Day Event VCU School of Engineering Design Expo. Science Museum of Virginia. The annual Senior Design Expo is the culmination of eight months of effort and allows our senior design teams to display and demonstrate their prototypes.
- All Day Event VCU Venture Creation Competiton hosted by VCU's da Vinci Center. VCC is a business plan competition aimed at sparking the entrepreneurial spirit of all VCU students across both the Monroe Park and Health System Campuses.
If you have any questions about these events, please contact Herb Hill at firstname.lastname@example.org or 804-828-4450.