Postdoctoral Career & Mentoring Resources
- FASEB Individual Development Plan
- Individual Development Plan web-based tool
- Career Information from the National Postdoc Association
- Career Resources from AAAS
- Career development websites
VCU Postdoctoral Scholar Career Development Fund
The Office of Postdoctoral Services has established a Postdoctoral Scholar Career Development Fund to support activities that further the postdoctoral scholar’s move toward independence. More information and that application are here.
The PFF program offers a series of short courses and professional development opportunities for students interested in pursuing careers in higher education. PFF courses introduce students to the roles and responsibilities of higher education, address teaching and learning issues in the college classroom and provide supervised internship opportunities. Postdoctoral scholars at VCU are eligible to take these courses with permission of the PFF program. Postdoctoral scholars taking these courses may be eligible for tuition assistance.
Mentoring is recognized as an important component to career success in the academic environment. The following links provide several resources related to mentoring and being mentored.
- VCU School of Medicine Faculty Mentoring Guide
- VCU Graduate School Mentoring Handbook
- Mentoring International Postdocs
- Responsible Conduct in Research Mentoring
- Resources for the Development of Early Career Scientists from HHMI
The NSF is now requiring mentoring plans in all proposals that include postdoctoral scholars.