Training and Meeting Opportunities
Refer to the events calendar for class availability:
Join the Research Administration Listserve to be kept up-to-date on new policies and regulations and learn of new training opportunities as they arise.
Mandatory Training for PIs and Research Administrative Staff [+][-]
The Office of Research and Innovation and the Office of Finance and Administration, with the support of VCU’s senior administration, have developed mandatory training programs in sponsored project compliance and effort certification to increase awareness and accountability and to reduce risk to the University. All Principal Investigators (PIs), investigators and VCU staff who are involved in sponsored projects or manage funds in sponsored project accounts are required to complete this training program.
Current PIs must complete the training program prior to the issue of an award. New awards will not be processed until the required training is completed. New PIs will also be required to take the training before an award will be processed by the Office of Research and Innovation. Proposals will continue to be processed without delay.
The training programs are available on Blackboard and should take approximately one (1) hour each to complete. To access the program, go to the VCU home page (www.vcu.edu), click on Blackboard and log-in using your VCU eID. Once in Blackboard, click on the Courses tab and select "School Required Training for PIs, Researchers and Administrators." Select the tab that best defines your role, i.e., "Investigator Training" or "Administrator Training"
All individuals must score a minimum of 80% on each of the corresponding examinations to successfully complete the training program.
You can self-enroll by searching by course name ("School Required Training for PIs, Researchers and Administrators" or search "School Required Training") and selecting "Self-enroll." If you have any problems registering for the course, please send an email to email@example.com. Access will be granted within 24 hours.
VCU has an obligation to preserve public trust in the integrity and quality of its sponsored projects. Ensuring that our faculty and staff are aware of and comply with federal regulations and University policies strengthens that trust. We appreciate your willingness to participate in this program.
VCU Sponsored Projects Administration Certification Program [+][-]
We are updating and reorganizing! Our certification program is not currently being offered.
In the interim, read more about events and training opportunities available in "Other Training" listed below.
Other Training [+][-]
NCURA Film Series
Technology Transfer Issues for the Research Administrator
Tuesday, October 21
Jilda Garton, VP for Research & GM, Georgia Institute of Technology Panel
Elaine Brock, Sr. Assoc. Dir., Office of Research and Sponsored Proj., University of Michigan
Cathy Innes, Dir., Office of Tech. Dev., University of NC at Chapel Hill
Alexandra McKeown, Assoc. Dean for Research Admin, Johns Hopkins University
- “Standard” Terms and Conditions
- Customary Industry Agreements
- Complex IP in Research Agreements
- Special IP Situations
Export Controls and Other Security Concerns
Tuesday, November 18
Randy Draper, Dir., Office of Contracts & Grants, University of Colorado Boulder Panel
Elizabeth Peloso, Dir., Export Compliance, University of Pennsylvania
Lisa Mosley, Dir. of Research Advancement, Arizona State University
Ajay Kuntamukkala, Partner, Hogan Lovells
- Export Control Laws
- Export Compliance Programs
- Role of the Research Administrator
- Future of Export Controls
Guiding the Principal Investigator through Proposal Development, Submission and Award Management
Tuesday, December 9
Negotiating Federal Contracts and Pass-Through Awards
Tuesday, January 13
Non-Financial Research Compliance
Tuesday, February 10
Click here to request instructional material for the NCURA DVD Library.
Grants & Contracts Accounting Training – This training is offered once a month and is designed for employees with less than one year experience working with sponsored programs. The session provides those who are new to grant administration an overview of Grants & Contracts policies and procedures and commonly used Banner forms. Participants must have completed the Banner Basic Navigation course via blackboard/my.vcu.edu or other classroom Banner experience. (Register via VCU training webpage).
Committee on the Administration of Research (CAR) [+][-]
The Committee on the Administration of Research (CAR), established by the Research Development Advisory Council (ReDAC) in May 2009, meets quarterly, alternating between Monroe Park and MCV Campuses. Members are appointed by research deans and directors.
- August 20, 2009 – Monroe Park
- November 19, 2009 - MCV Campus
- February 18, 2010 – Monroe Park
- May 20, 2010 - MCV Campus
- August 19, 2010 – Monroe Park
- November 17, 2010 - 3pm (MCV Campus)
- February 16, 2011 - 3pm (Monroe Park Campus)
- May 18, 2011 - 3pm (MCV Campus)
- August 25, 2011, MCV Campus (Larrick Church Hill Room)
- January 19, 2012, Monroe Campus (Commons, Alumni Assoc. Rm.)
- May 17, 2012, MCV Campus (Larrick Church Hill Room)
- September 20, 2012 – Student Commons, Alumni Board Room
- November 15, 2012 – Student Commons, Virginia A (Pending)
- January 17, 2013 – Larrick Hall, Church Hill Board Room
- March 21, 2013 – Student Commons, Alumni Board Room
- May 16, 2013 – Larrick Hall, Church Hill Board Room
- July 23, 2013 – 3060 BioTech One
- September 18, 2013 – 3060 BioTech One
- November 20, 2013 – 3060 BioTech One
- January 15, 2014 – 3060 BioTech One
- March 19, 2014 – 3060 BioTech One
- May 21, 2014 – 3060 BioTech One
- July 23, 2014
- September 24, 2014
- November 19, 2014
- January 21, 2015
- March 25, 2015
- May 20, 2015
- Effort and Effort Reporting
- Industry Funding
Research Administration and Compliance (RACM) Meetings [+][-]
Research Administration and Compliance Meetings (RACM) are held at least quarterly, alternating between Monroe Park and MCV Campuses. All individuals involved or interested in research administration and compliance are welcome to attend. To ensure receipt of meeting reminders and advance agendas, please join the RESADM listserve here.
- August 26, 2009 - MCV Campus
- January 21, 2010 - Monroe Campus
- May 27, 2010 - Monroe Campus
- September 15, 2010 - MCV Campus
- January 19, 2011 - 1pm (MCV Campus)
- May 25, 2011 - 1pm (MCV Campus)
- September 21, 2011, 1 pm, MCV Campus (Larrick, Jackson Ward)
- January 26, 2012, 1 pm, MCV Campus (Larrick, Jackson Ward)
- May 23, 2012, 1 pm MCV Campus (Larrick, Jackson Ward)
- August 15, 2012 – Larrick Hall, Court End Ball Room
- October 3, 2012 – Larrick Hall, Court End Ball Room
- January 23, 2013 – Larrick Hall, Jackson Ward Room
- May 22, 2013 – Larrick Hall, Court End Ball Room
- August 20, 2013 – Larrick Hall, Court End B
- October 30, 2013 – Larrick Hall, Court End B
- February 19, 2014 – Larrick Hall, Court End A
- April 24, 2014 – Larrick Hall, Court End A
- August 27, 2014
- October 29, 2014
- February 18, 2015
- April 29, 2015
Agendas, Handouts and Presentations
From NIH: All About Grants Podcast Service [+][-]
NIH and the Office of Extramural Research (OER) have made podcasts available which feature conversations with NIH staff members. The podcasts are designed for investigators, fellows, students, research administrators, and others. The podcasts vary in length (between 10-20 minutes) and relevant subject matter and are updated every other week.
Please visit the "All About Grants" podcast website here to download podcasts or to subscribe to this service.