Research Core Resources
VCU is pleased to support a number of Core Laboratories which facilitate a wide variety of research in the biomedical, life, physical, and social sciences.
Some of these core laboratories are institutional, while others are associated to specific schools, programs or departments. However, all are available to all VCU researchers, typically on a fee-for-service basis. Access to core laboratories is also possible, on a more limited basis, for outside academic and commercial users.
An important note to core laboratory users:
Many of the core laboratories at VCU are supported, in part, by program grants from sponsoring institutes at the National Institutes of Health, and the National Science Foundation. It is therefore essential that core laboratory usage be appropriately cited in publications which have made use of core lab services. This simple courtesy will help ensure ongoing support and continuity of such services to the VCU community. The appropriate citation for each core lab is indicated as a superscript after the link. PLEASE make every effort to include the suggested citation language, which may be found at the bottom of this page.
Click here for language describing core labs that is suitable for direct inclusion in grant applications. You may also click on the "grant lnaguage" link associated with each core. Researchers are encouraged to contact individual core directors prior to inclusion of VCU cores on a grant application, especially if a large volume of work is contemplated. In some cases it may be appropriate to consider a component of salary support. Again, please seek guidance by contacting individual core directors.
VCU Research Spotlights
- March 2011: Biological Macromolecule Core Laboratory
- June 2011: Tissue and Data Acquisition and Analysis Core (TDAAC)
- September 2011: Flow Cytometry Shared Resource Core Facility
- October 2011: Transgenic/Knockout Mouse Shared Resource Core
- February 2012: Chemical and Proteomic Mass Spectrometry Core Facility
- April 2012: Bioanalytical Core Laboratory Service Center
- August 2012: Nanomaterials Core Characterization Facility
- October 2012: The Mid-Atlantic Twin Registry
- March 2013: The Microscopy Core Facility
- December 2013: The Lipidomics Core Facility
- November 2014: The Translational Research Innovation Projects Facility
- June 2015: VCU Lipidomics/Metabolomics Core
- August 2015: Chemical & Proteomic Mass Spectrometry Core Facility
- September 2015: VCU Transgenic/Knockout Mouse Core
VCU Institutional Core Laboratories
- Biological Macromolecule Core LaboratoryMCC - Grant Language
- Cancer Research Informatics and Services Shared Resource (CRIS)MCC
- Center for High Performance Computing (CHiPC) - Grant Language
- Chemical and Proteomic Mass Spectrometry Core Laboratory - Grant Language
- Flow Cytometry Core LaboratoryMCC - Grant Language
- Microscopy Core LaboratoryAP30 - Grant Language
- Nanomaterials Characterization Core LaboratoryNMC - Grant Language
- Nucleic Acids Research Facility (NARF)MCC - Grant Language
- Structural Biology Core LaboratoryMCC - Grant Language
- Tissue and Data Acquisition and Analysis Core (TDAAC)MCC - Grant Language
- Transgenic Mouse Core LaboratoryMCC - Grant Language
- VCU Supply Centers
Next-generation Sequencing at VCU
- Next-Generation Sequencing at VCU
- VCU Genomics Core Laboratory
- Molecular Pathology Research Services
- School of Pharmacy Bioanalytical laboratory shared resource
- Clinical Research Center Core LaboratoryCTSA
- Cytogenetics Diagnostic Laboratory
- Clinical Pathology Research Services
- Center for Molecular Imaging
- Survey and Evaluation Research Laboratory
- Molecular Pathology Research Services
Accessing Research Resources at UVa
VCU has entered into a reciprocal resource sharing agreement with UVa. Further information may be found here.
Questions about Core laboratories at VCU? Please email Dr. Paul Fawcett (firstname.lastname@example.org), VCU Director of Research Resources.
MCC: Please cite usage by including the following language “ (service provided) was performed at the VCU (fill in laboratory) core laboratory, which is supported, in part, by funding from the NIH-NCI Cancer Center Support Grant (P30 CA016059)”
AP30: Please cite usage by including the following language “Microscopy was performed at the VCU Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology Microscopy Facility, supported, in part, with funding from NIH-NINDS Center core grant (5P30NS047463-02)”
NMC: Please cite usage by including the following language “Nanomaterials characterization was performed at the VCU Nanomaterials Characterization Core Laboratory, which is supported, in part, with funding from the NSF()”
CTSA: Please cite CRS usage by indicating "Core laboratory services were provided by the VCU Clinical Research Services Core Laboratory, which is supported, in part, with funding from the NIH-NCATS (UL1TR000058)"